Sights Italino English

Service

Private Bathroom

Airconditioner

TV, Fridge and hairdryer

Safe

Parking

Breakfast on request

Key available service

No Credit card

Contact Info

dove_siamo
B&B "La Zattera"
Road Cristoforo Colombo 95
Email: info@lazatteraversilia.it

Phone/Fax: (0584) 66759
Cell: 3342924837

50 meters from the sea

B&B La Zattera  

translation made by google translator

LUCCA:

Lucca is one of the few cities which preserve intact its walls of the XV-XVII century, around 4,450 kilometers long. Its historic center is well preserved and includes many medieval churches of great architectural treasures, close to towers, bell towers and Renaissance palaces of fine linear style. The square of the amphitheatre built on the ruins of the ancient Roman amphitheatre by the architect Nottolini, is unique in her architectural kind. Lucca was also nicknamed "The city of 100 churches. "

Like other cities in Tuscany, Lucca preserves many works of art, like a veritable open-air museum, a built environment which has been built and enriched over the centuries, and where new structures are harmonized with the old one. We find good examples of this development with the town square of the amphitheatre, with the square Napoleone of the epoch of the principality of Elisa Baciocchi, and the public park realized on and around the city walls. On  the 24th of  November 2006 Lucca hosted the summit between Italy and France in the presence of the Prime Minister Prodi and French President Chirac.
Recently the proposal has been advanced to name the town patrimony of the humanity from the UNESCO.

.

EVENTS IN LUCCA:

 

TORRE DEL LAGO PUCCINI:

Torre del Lago Puccini is a fraction of Viareggio.
Its name derives from the presence of some fortifications that rise on the nearby Lake Massaciuccoli.
To the original name of Torre del Lago it has been added recently the name of  Puccini to honor the great composer Giacomo Puccini, who lived and composed here many of his famous operas. His house is open to the public and it is popular between  tourists and impassioned of lyric coming from around the world.


 

Every year in summer period , in honor of  Puccini a lyric festival "the Puccini Festival"is held. During this festival, in an outdoor theatre overlooking the lake Massaciuccoli, some works of the composer are represented, for a long time present firmly in the lyric repertoire. 

.
 

PISA:

Pisa is one of the Tuscany towns and the capital of the homonymous province. It entertains the most important airport of the Region, the "Galileo Galilei", and it is center of well three university institutions.
Among the most important monuments of the city there is - in the famous Piazza dei Miracoli UNESCO World Heritage - the marble cathedral built between 1064 and 1118 in Romanesque style, with its bronze doors by Bonanno Pisano and the pulpit by Giovanni Pisano. In the square stands the characteristic leaning tower of the twelfth century, 55 meters high, which immediately acquired its characteristic inclination after the beginning of its construction .

 

To notice the presence of at least three leaning towers, one, the more note, in near Plaza of the Miracles to the extremity north of the central Street Santa Maria, close to the cathedral; the second constituted from the bell tower of the Church of San Nicola, to the opposite extremity of Street Santa Maria, next to the Lungarno; the third one, to half road of the riverside of the Piagge placed in the east part of the city, is the bell tower of the church of San. Michele degli Scalzi ones (in this case also the church  is pending).

DEVIL'S BRIDGE

“The bridge of the Devil' rises the height of Borgo a Mozzano along the SS12 Abetone and Brenner, on which you enter from Lucca.
The bridge connects the two banks of the Magdalena river Serchio height of Borgo a Mozzano. Its construction dates back to the Countess Matilde di Canossa (1046-1115), who had great influence and power over this area of Tuscany, the Garfagnana, but its present appearance is due to the reconstruction carried out by Castruccio Castracani (1281-1328) , leader and lord of the near Lucca, in early 1300.

 The appearance of the bridge is a classic medieval 'donkey', except that here it becomes unique, since its arches are asymmetric and the middle is so tall and wide that his sound seems to defy the law of gravity. The bridge is commonly called 'the Devil' by virtue of a popular legend in the area, looking upset reinforced the bridge: a head mason had begun to build it but soon realized that he could not complete the work for the day set and got the fear of possible consequences, he turned to the Devil for help to finish the job. The Devil agreed to complete the bridge in one night in exchange for the first passer-by who had crossed him. The pact was signed but the manufacturer, full of remorse, he confessed with a cleric in the area who advised him to cross the first bridge to a pig. The Devil was so mocked and disappeared into the River.

(By: http://www.castellitoscani.com/italian/diavolo.htm )

Wind Cave

About 200 million years ago, at the bottom of a sea which could correspond to the actual Tyrrhenian sea, it began to accumulate a vast quantities of shells, coral formations, fish skeletons, sand, slime and calcium carbonate chemically precipitated by evaporation of water. This debris, although in different quantities and compositions, continued to accumulate, layer by layer, at least 170 million years, forming a mass of thousands of feet thick.

The enormous weight of such an accumulation brought about the compression and cementation of the various elements, slowly transforming into limestone rock.
Around twenty million years ago, strong thrusts (orogenic movements), linked to continental drift, caused the upheaval in this rocky body, intensely fractured due to great pressure, emerged from the sea, and slowly form the present mountains.
The rain water falling on the surface cracked mountain was immediately absorbed into the ground, where several streams of water came together to form these streams, underground streams and rivers over millions of years, fissures, have gradually extended in the dense network of burrows, tunnels, shafts and halls which make up the underground complex of the Wind Cave.
(by: http://www.grottadelvento.com/guida/index.html)

PARK Apuan

The Alps are distinguished from the nearby Apennines due to harsh morphology, with their deeply incised valleys and the imposing and very inclined slopes. The Apuan Alps are known for the beauty of its marble and the deep potholes and large underground karst cavity.
The geographical position of the massif, its exposure and the different nature of the rocks determine the presence of very different and contrasting environments which favour the rich flora and fauna of the area.

(By :http://www.parks.it/parco.alpi.apuane/index.html)

VAGLI:

Vagli Lake in the town of Vagli under the province of Lucca, has been formed artificially by the damming of the stream Edron in 1947 by the SALT Valdarno (now ENEL spa).
In 1948 the jobs of the dike have been completed with the subsequent raising to 92 meters.
The waters of the lake climbing they have submerged some villages, among which the principal was Careggine mills, a small village of blacksmiths from Brescia, which now comes out to every exceptional emptying of the lake.

 

Montecatini Terme:

Montecatini Terme is a town in the province of Pistoia. Valdinievole most important center of the town, it is located at the eastern end of Lucca, and has a strong tourist vocation, as well as industrial and commercial.
Montecatini is an important spa and a major center for hotel accommodation in the region.

 

FLORENCE:

Florence (formerly Florentia and Fiorenza) is the capital of the province and the region of Tuscany.
Crossing the river Arno (November 4, 1966, which overflowed during the flood of Florence, causing extensive damage and the deaths of 35 people), capital of Italy for a short period after the unification of Italy (1865-1871) and under the dominion of the Medici family (1434-1494, 1512-1527 and 1530-1737), Florence has been an important cultural center in medieval Europe, trade and finance.

It is considered the birthplace of the Renaissance and is recognized worldwide as one of the cradles of art and architecture, with its many historic buildings, monuments and rich museums (including the Galleria degli Uffizi, the Gallery Palatina, the Bargello and Palazzo Pitti museums).

 

HILLS OF CHIANTI:

The Chianti Mountains are a short mountain range (approximately 20 km) between the provinces of Siena and Arezzo which mark the eastern border of the Chianti region with the Valdarno and the Val di Chiana. The highest peak is Mount St. Michael (893 meters).
The remaining land is rather hilly and municipalities in this area are part of the production area of Chianti, DOCG red wine.

 

ROSIGNANO SOLVY :

Rosignano Solvay is a village in the municipality of Rosignano Marittimo in the province of Livorno, located about 22 km from the capital has about 20,000 inhabitants (the whole town has about 31000). Famous for its "white beaches" (formed by discharges of 'adjacent chemical industry is 90% cooked and finely crushed limestone and about 10% CaCl2), which closely resembles the tropical beaches, attract many tourists in summer. .
Rosignano Solvay has many modern beach resorts. Characteristic is the walk that reaches Point Righini from Caletta of Castiglioncello almost three Km of tortuous run along the coast that reaches Castiglioncello, a village founded in 1800 for "will" of Diego Martelli, a writer that entertained in his residence many artists and men of culture, were the most frequent: Fattori, Signorini, Lega, Abbate, Carducci, Fucini, Guerrazzi and others, his house was so called "The Last Supper Italian intelligentsia. " Recently it has been built a a tourist port which can accommodate 650 yachts with lengths up to thirty meters, the ground part of that port is not yet fully completed, it is expected to be completed by 2007. Within the harbour it has built an efficient site for the repair and dry-docking of the wonderful boats transiting there. Currently it is to the study the construction of a small helipad to facilitate the arrival and departure of the owners of the yachts.

PIETRASANTA :

Pietrasanta is a town in the province of Lucca. Versilia town (the land between the Tyrrhenian coast and the Apuan Alps) is a center of international stature for the processing of marble and bronze, so that frequently hosts international sculptors who stay there to create sculptural works of large dimensions. By the time the country has taken the face of a real center of art, with numerous art galleries, temporary exhibitions and a seasonal old town full of monuments and well cared for.

Marble Quarries - Carrara:

The marble quarries were probably used during the Copper Age inhabitants of the area from primitive tools to produce various decorative and commemorative items and be buried in coffins with the deceased.
With the Romans developed the mining activity itself, and since the time of Julius Caesar supplies of white marble blocks of the major public buildings of Rome and numerous patrician houses. The export is via the port of Luni.

From the fifth century to the year 1000 the mining activity undergoes a period of stagnation following the barbarian invasions. Following the increased spread of Christianity marble is required in large quantities for the construction of religious buildings and their interior decoration. The bustling activity of the quarries is mainly due to the masters comacini, including Nicola Pisano and Giovanni Pisano, who use it for their work in central Italy. Later it was the marble used by Michelangelo for his sculptures and came to personally choose the blocks in which to carry out their work.

CASTELLO MALASPINA:

Malaspina Castle is certainly one of the most famous Fosdinovo (MS).
A castrum in Fosdinovo is mentioned for the first time in 1084, but today the castle of the Malaspina is certainly the outcome of major reconstruction, perhaps fourteenth century, by the Marquis Spinetta (died 1352) and Jailbird Malaspina (d. 1367).
The castle was later renewed interest from major restoration work with Gabriele Malaspina in the years preceding 1468 and following various interventions that have transformed the house into a rich mansion.
The external appearance, however, is still that of a mighty medieval fortress that stands on top of a spur of the Monte Grosso, called Monte Papyrus.
The castle, owned by heirs-Torrigiani Malaspina, is open and fully furnished.
According to Giovanni Boccaccio Dante was a guest on one of his many stages of exile, to 1306.

CINQUETERRE:

Cinque Terre is the name given to a jagged coastline of the Ligurian Riviera di Levante, situated in the province of La Spezia and from Punta Mesco and Punta di Montenero, in which there are five villages or, as it was in ancient times, five lands, ie Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore.
The Cinque Terre, thanks to their geographical and anthropomorphic, is a major tourist attractions of the Ligurian Riviera.
In fact arise in a particular topography, which is a hilly area, consisting of tipicamenente terraces or bands, which falls into the sea with steep slopes. The work of man over the centuries has shaped the area without altering the delicate ecological balance, but enhancing the beauty, as the need for the terraced slopes, due to the special agricultural technology seeks to exploit the land as far as possible in high places slope that leads down to the sea.
Since 1997, the Cinque Terre, together with Portovenere and the islands of Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto were included among the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Since 1999 was founded the National Park of Cinque Terre, the only institution in Italy aimed at the protection of a man-made environment.
 
translation made by google translator ^ Back to top